This year’s honorees are MSNBC’s The Melissa Harris-Perry Show, the Entitlement Counselors of Planned Parenthood of New York City, and longtime NYAAF supporter and advocate Barbara Kass! Purchase a ticket for the event and read details below:
What: NYAAF’s 3rd Annual Celebrate Access Awards
When: October 16, 2014
Where: 225 West 83rd Street between Broadway and Amsterdam, NYC
Supporter: $100, one ticket
Silver Level Sponsorship: $250, including one event ticket and a half page message in event e-journal
Gold Level Sponsorship: $500, including 2 event tickets, a half page message in event e-journal, recognition in materials, website, and annual report
Platinum Level Sponsorship: $1000, including 2 event tickets, a full screen message in event e-journal, recognition during the program and marketing materials, website, and annual report
Click here to purchase a ticket for the event!
Come sing (or scream!) your heart out for a cause! NYAAF is so excited and pleased to be the beneficiary for Punk Rock Karaoke Northeast! The proceeds from this event will go directly to help folks seeking abortion care in New York, who would otherwise be unable to cover the cost of their abortion.
Punk Rock Karaoke is a DIY, fund-raising event that benefits a different community group at each event. Like Punk Rock Karaoke on facebook to stay up to date on future events!
Against Me!, Bikini Kill, Black Flag, Bratmobile, Buzzcocks, Choking Victim, The Clash, Circle Jerks, Crass, Dead Kennedys, Descendents, Devo, Flogging Molly, Fugazi, Gogol Bordello, Gorilla Biscuits, Jawbreaker, Joy Division, Minor Threat, The Misfits, NOFX, Operation Ivy, Pixies, The Pogues, Ramones, Rancid, Screeching Weasel, Sex Pistols, Sleater-Kinney, The Smiths, The Specials, Stiff Little Fingers, Wire, X, X-Ray Spex + More!!!
“Obvious Child is the abortion movie we’ve been waiting for. Take all your friends, especially the ones who aren’t so sure how they feel about abortion, to see Obvious Child. It will not only help demystify abortion but give concrete examples of how to make someone who’s having one feel loved and supported. Plus, it’s really, really funny.”
– former NYAAF board member Steph Herold
In Obvious Child, “a twenty-something comedienne’s unplanned pregnancy forces her to confront the realities of independent womanhood for the first time.” But more than that, Obvious Child is a movie that, for many, will be “a landmark moment in cultural history.” It asks the question, “what if abortion is a story’s happy ending?”
A portion of your ticket purchase will benefit NYAAF.
Hello, bowlers! See that picture up there? That’s the sweet venue where the Bowl-a-thon is taking place in less than 3 weeks! Food, drinks, bowling, abortion funding… what more could you want?
On a more serious note, we put a lot of effort into making sure this year’s Bowl-a-thon is the BEST ONE YET… and thus we present some important things you should know:
- PRIZES!!! Yes, indeed. We have some awesome prizes in store for 3 categories: Top Fundraising Team, Rookie of the Year, and Best Costumes. People go all out for the Bowl-a-thon & we want to honor your efforts. Plus, we want to see who can top last year’s robot squad team ensemble (ABORITON 3000 activate!)
- NEW VENUE!!! We booked this new Bowlmor location specifically because it’s all on one floor and therefore more conducive to socializing and generally having a great time! At its core, the Bowl-a-thon is a celebration and we want that to come across. The Bowl-a-thon is also longer than it has been in past years because what’s the fun in rushing to bowl? We’re here to enjoy ourselves!
- SPEAKING OF FUN!!! What’s more fun that having some drinks & eating food? Not much (besides bowling) and there will be plenty of all of that at the Bowl-a-thon! Also, for the first time ever, we’ve booked a DJ to provide some sweet tunes while you bowl. We heavily encourage you to get your dance on, but be careful – those bowling shoes can be slippery!
- WE’RE KICKING BUTT!!! That’s right. Not only are we OUTPACING last year’s fundraising but we are WAY ahead as far as number of bowlers registered! This says a couple things to us: people are recognizing the importance of supporting abortion funds and they’re willing to do what they can to help – and we couldn’t be happier about that. As we shared with you, we are pledging more than ever before and it is fundraising events like the Bowl-a-thon that make our work possible. Thank you!
Now that you’ve personalized your fundraising page and sent out emails, Tweets, and Facebook posts to your networks, you may be wondering what else you can do to reach your goal. Even though your fundraising page is online, we encourage bowlers to also use offline tools to raise money.
Here are some suggestions to help inspire you on how to use offline tools and resources to reach your goal:
Organize an event! The possibilities are endless: you and your team can choose to have a bar night, throw a house party, have a bake sale, or even host a stoop sale (weather permitting!). Think you have what it takes to organize a successful fundraising event, but need a little help connecting with the right folks to make it happen? Great! Send us an email to info[at]nyaaf[dot]org (subject line: “Events”) with your idea, and we’ll get in touch regarding next steps.
Offer perks/rewards for donations! Maybe you don’t have time to throw an event, but still want to provide incentives. Consider offering perks à la Kickstarter for donations to your loved ones. Have a ton of books or clothes lying around? Offer an item of their choice to your donors! Have a large social media following? Consider posting a tweet or blog publicizing your donors’ project! Have stellar cooking or baking skills? Make a meal or treat for select donors! The possibilities are endless & everyone has something awesome to offer.
Use your talents! Are you a musician or an artist? Do you have amazing cooking/writing/social media/organizing/styling skills? Consider using your particular talents to offer your donors a free song, piece of art, consultation, or workshop! It’s a way to show your passion while incentivizing potential donors!
NOTE: Don’t forget to log your cash donations on your Bowl-a-thon page!
We want you and your team to get credit for all your hard work! To log cash or check donations you receive your event, simply log in to your participant page at http://bit.ly/NYAAFbowl14. On the left column near the bottom, click “Enter offline donations.” We will collect the cash & checks on the day of the BAT, or you can email us and arrange for an exchange if you’d rather not hang on to it all.
We reached March benchmark goal of $30,000! HURRAY! But with an overall goal of $100,000, we have a long way to go & the Bowl-a-thon is in less than ONE MONTH!
Thank you so much for supporting NYAAF as we get ever-closer to the best Bowl-a-thon EVER! As always, please reach out to us if you have any questions and happy funding!
NYAAF Bowl-a-thon Coordinator
P.S. Fundraise & Win Big!
Win a $100 gift certificate to Bhoomki, a fabulous boutique in Park Slope, Brooklyn, that specializes in environmental & socially responsible brands!
In addition, the winner and 6-8 friends are invited to a private shopping party – with complementary bellinis or wine – at Bhoomki where all purchases will be 15% off!
For every $100 you raise between 3/28 – 4/4, you’ll be entered once into the raffle.Winner will be announced on 4/4. Good luck!
Facebook/ Twitter/Other Social Media Outlets: Pick a certain time to put updates. Be intentional when you ask online. Be sure to tell folks why you care and ask for their support with a specific amount.
Key Points of a Successful Ask
Reach out by emailing and calling your networks! Tell them what you’re doing (I’m participating in this awesome fundraiser to support one of my favorite organizations, the New York Abortion Access Fund – NYAAF) In your email be sure to tell them what the Bowl-a-thon is and why you support NYAAF. (All this info can be found on the NYAAF website) Speak from the heart!
Step 2: Make the Ask!
Explicitly ask your network, friends, family, etc…to support your efforts and NYAAF by making a donation today! Remind them that any gift is welcome no matter how small or large. Or ask for a specific amount (Would you be wiling to pledge $100?). Remember, if you’re on a team, your folks can donate directly to you online at your personal page.
Step 3: Follow up, follow up, follow up!
Some of your people may say “Yes, I’d love to support, but can I give you money next week?” or something to that affect. In order to met your goal (and hopefully exceed it), you must call and email to remind everyone to turn in their pledges to you!! Before the Bowl-a-thon you must collect all checks and cash, as well as email all those people who said “oh yes I’ve been meaning to give to you”. Online donations can be a great way to get people to donate sooner rather than later. Don’t forget to encourage people to donate online!
Step 4: Answer any questions they have!
Some of your donors have never heard of NYAAF, or maybe they don’t know about abortion funds, or the need for NYAAF, etc…. That’s okay! This is a great opportunity to get the word out about what we at NYAAF do. Feel free to use our website, FB page, Twitter account, and ME as resources to help talk about our incredible work with the people you’re asking to support you. Also, feel free to direct them to any of the above resources or provide them with my email if they have questions you aren’t able, or feel comfortable answering.
Step 5: Thank them!
This is the most important step! NYAAF/NNAF will send all your donors thank you notes/tax receipts, but a personalized thank you from you will feel awesome and will make sure your donors know that you appreciate their support.
As always, if you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re here for anything and everything and to support you in anyway!!
Fundraising for the Bowl-a-thon is simpler than you think…
Fundraising may seem complicated, but simply asking is really the best way to reach your goal.
Sending individual personal messages to friends, family, colleagues, etc. has been found to be the most effective way to encourage giving. Asking them three times is even more successful.
Adding sincere personal touches goes a long way and it helps show your potential supporters that you are truly committed and passionate about this cause.
To help you out, we’ve included a couple example emails that you can feel free to customize and use!
Good luck and look out for more handy fundraising emails coming to you weekly!
Hello Friend,I know it may be hard to do, but can you imagine what it would be like if you were unemployed, had only $100 to your name, and a $600 bill for your upcoming abortion. Think of how it hard it can be to feel like you have to choose between food and making your appointment. Sadly, many people in New York are facing choices like these despite their legal right to abortion care.This year, I have committed to raising $[x] for NYAAF, an organization that works to provide funding for every person who needs financial assistance to abortion care in New York through their annual Bowl-a-thon. In 2013, they pledged nearly $100,000 and this year is slated to be even bigger. Without a successful Bowl-a-thon, NYAAF cannot do this work.Help me strike down barriers to abortion access and guarantee that one’s right to health care isn’t determined by how much money they have. Donations of $15, $10 or even $5 really make a difference! [link to your personal page]Thank you,[Your name here]
As you may or may not know, I [volunteer for/support/am friends with X board member of] the New York Abortion Access Fund (NYAAF). It’s an all volunteer run organization that runs completely on donations from individuals (they don’t receive any grants and the donations go straight to those in need.) I am participating in their annual Bowlathon, where they raise the majority of their funds for the year! Last year, NYAAF pledged $96,716 to help 364 people access the abortion services they desperately needed. Please support me in NYAAF’s biggest year ever by donating to my Bowlathon page here: [link here]
Did you know?:
- In 2013, the average cost of a procedure NYAAF sponsored was $906, and the most common was $500. The average grant size was $303. Could you afford that out of pocket?
- “Back-alley” abortions cause 68,000 maternal deaths each year in the 33 countries where abortion is not legal or available, according to the World Health Organization in Oct. 2006.
- 87% of US counties do not provide abortion services. In 2008, 39% of New York counties had no abortion provider.
- Abortion is a common experience: At current rates, about one in three American women will have had an abortion by the time she reaches age 45.“The decision to become a parent is one of the most important decisions people make in their life. As a mother and an obstetrician-gynecologist, I don’t believe pregnancy or parenthood should be forced on anyone.” -Lisa Bayer, MD, Physicians for Reproductive Health
What NYAAF Does:
- Provides funds to those in financial need who are seeking an abortion
- Makes sure that the health centers/clinics for those who seek abortions are safe, non-judgemental spaces
- Provides one-on-one support for those who call NYAAF seeking abortion services
- Works to eliminate the stigma around abortions to eradicate shame and judgement around ones’ personal healthcare choices
- Strikes down barriers to reproductive health choices because everyone has their right to live a self-determined life!
Please support me by donating to my Bowlathon page here: [link here]
That means we need to pick up the pace to meet the demand for our biggest year yet! We’re so glad to have you on board to help us & we’re positive the Bowl-a-thon is gonna be amazing!
P.P.S. NYAAF is looking for three amazing people to join our Board of Directors. Find out more info here & let us know if you’re interested!
(and if it’s not yet, it WILL be!)
As the Bowl-a-thon season comes into full swing, we wanted to talk to you a little bit about personalizing your fundraiser page. The more engaging your page is, the more people will be enticed to support. And luckily, it’s VERY easy to customize your page!
Here are some starters to help inspire your page’s amazingness:
- Start by checking out the landing page where you log in. Simply log in to the Bowl-a-thon site and check out the menu on the left & theCustomize Your Page options in front of you. You can edit your page message, change your goal, add photos, and more!
- If you need more help, there’s also this handy guide created by the National Network of Abortion Funds that goes over the basics of embedding images, animated GIFs, videos, etc. onto your page.
- Get some inspiration from NNAF’s “Bowl-a-thon Page of the Week” blog series or by simply clicking around the Bowl-a-thon homepage and perusing the pages of other teams/bowlers.
- Find some imagery to use on your page! Some examples:
- A selfie of you with a sign saying why you support abortion funds (check out Lauren Rankin’s “I Fund Abortions” Tumblr for examples!)
- A series of animated GIFs telling a compelling AND hilarious story (may we suggest giphy.com as a good GIF search engine?)
- Custom memes via memegenerator.net (examples above created by Katie of the High Roellers!)
More than anything, make your page a reflection of yourself. People that may pledge to you are interested in knowing WHY this work is so important to you. Get creative in the ways you express this! Your page is your canvas!
As always, please reach out to us if you have any questions and happy funding!
NYAAF Bowl-a-thon Coordinator
P.S. You can find our Bowl-a-thon FAQ here.
P.P.S. NYAAF is looking for three amazing people to join our Board of Directors. Find out more info here & let us know if you’re interested!
New Yorkers! Are you itching to get more involved with your local abortion fund? Do you have great event organizing skills? Or perhaps experience writing and securing grants? Maybe you’ve got amazing fundrasing skills that you’re looking to put to a good cause. We want YOU to join the NYAAF board! We currently have three board positions open and would love for you to join us!
- Developing and implementing institutional fundraising strategy
- Drafting and submitting Letters of Inquiry and Proposal
- Researching prospective foundation supporters
- Tracking foundation donor response, reporting requirements, and deadlines
- Preparing narrative and financial reports
- Participating on other committees and completing projects as needed
- Experience with writing grants and proposals
- Ability to conceptualize and create an institutional fundraising strategy
- Familiarity with New York foundation funding landscape
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented
Events Coordinator: Community Organizing and Grassroots Events
- Develop community fundraising involvement, specifically college-based, local, and upstate fundraising development.
- Organize volunteer-hosted events, including the development and implementation of home-hosting kits for individuals interested in hosting a NYAAF fundraiser.
- Generate ideas for new events targeting the growth of the volunteer base and work with
volunteers to implement those ideas.
- Promptly report on events to the rest of the board (costs, funds raised, new donor lists, etc.).
- Assist the Events Coordinator: Major Donors and Institutional Events with annual major donor events (e.g. Bowlathon and Celebrate Access Awards) as needed.
- Participate on the Fundraising Committee.
- Plan yearly events calendar in conjunction with Fundraising Committee and the Events Coordinator: Major Donors and Institutional Events
External event coordination
- Work with anyone who approaches NYAAF offering to host an event (e.g. a play, book signing, concert, etc.)
- Determine whether the event is an appropriate fit for NYAAF
- Ensure NYAAF board representation at events as appropriate
- Coordinate/delegate to-do lists and duties with volunteer or host (venue, invites, staffing, etc.)
- Coordinate the pick up of the organizations mail and distribute mail to other board members
- Draft and distribute acknowledgement letters in a timely manner
- Make thank you calls
- Work with event planner(s) to discuss and plan opportunities/events to establish and cultivate donor relationships
- Assist in annual report assembly and production
- Manage and update donor database (NGP VAN)
- Work with co-chairs to cultivate major donors and develop individual giving campaigns
- Generate contribution reports as needed
- Maintain online giving account (NY Charities)
- Set up online donation pages for events
- Provide support for all mailings
General board responsibilities include attendance at monthly meetings on the third Monday of every month, and an intake shift on our hotline once every three months.
NYAAF is committed to seeking a diverse group of candidates, including young people, people of color, and gender non-conforming and queer folks. We are an all-volunteer, board-run grassroots organization.
Interested? Have questions? Email info[at]nyaaf[dot]org for a board application! Applications are due April 1st, 2014.