The New York Abortion Access Fund is seeking four to five Board Members AND one Transition Co-Chair (see below for more detail). NYAAF’s board is currently an all-volunteer board responsible for all areas of NYAAF’s development and operations.
NYAAF believes every individual should be able to determine their own reproductive destiny and have access to the resources, rights, and respect to be able to do so. NYAAF’s mission is rooted in this belief: We support anyone who is unable to pay fully for an abortion and is living in or traveling to New York State by providing financial assistance and connections to other resources. We also strongly value the inclusion of those who have traditionally struggled to access reproductive health care including low-income people, immigrant communities, women of color, transgender and gender non-conforming people.
Our operations primarily consist of working directly with callers to pledge funds toward the cost of their abortion, fundraising, and managing our growing organization’s development. We recently under went a strategic planning process and are currently working to incorporate our strategic plan. We are also in the process of transitioning our organizational model to a membership-based model. Joining the board at this exciting juncture means there is a lot of room to guide NYAAF’s direction, sustainability, and impact. Please see our 2014 Annual Report here for more information about our work.
We seek Board Members who can contribute to our current Board of Directors in just some the following ways:
- Vision and leadership (and leadership potential!)
- Diversity in race, ethnicity, age, economic status/stature, parent status, ability, sexuality, gender identity, professional and career background, and background in accessing healthcare.
- Have experience, skills, know-how, and passion in any of following areas:
- Institutional fundraising
- Event organizing
- Change management and strategic organizational development, including resource coordination
- Strategic communications
- Collective organizational structures
- Treasury skills and 501(c)(3) financial literacy and management
- Operations and Human Resources-related skills
- Incorporating anti-oppression ideas and practice into all aspects of non-profit operations
- Executive level non-profit management experience
In addition to the above, we also seek a Transition Co-Chair, a specialized board member to serve on a short-term basis whose responsibilities center around seeing NYAAF through a transitional phase. Overall, responsibilities will include coordinating short and long-range planning efforts, including:
- Monitoring progress on organizational goals per NYAAF’s strategic plan including progress towards the hiring of an Executive Director and transition to a membership model.
- Ensuring the work of committees align to established timelines
- Working with Committees to identify capacity-building needs relevant to NYAAF’s transition and coordinate implementation of activities.
Please download our application here. Please email your application and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Board Member Application.” We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis until July 15th, but earlier applications are strongly encouraged! We can’t wait to get to know you!
We will be in touch with strong applicants for a casual interview and to discuss what serving on our board might look like for you and our timeline for making invitations to serve. We view this as a two-way process. Not only do we hope to find applicants that contribute to our needs, values, and mission, but we hope to be a good fit for your goals as a member of our Board of Directors.
Please direct any questions to Julie Krumwiede at Krumwiede.firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis until July 15th, but earlier applications are strongly encouraged!
*****Women of color, trans and gender-non-conforming people (including trans women), and people who have experienced difficulty in accessing necessary healthcare are especially encouraged to apply*****