Fundraising for the Bowl-a-thon is simpler than you think…
Fundraising may seem complicated, but simply asking is really the best way to reach your goal.
Sending individual personal messages to friends, family, colleagues, etc. has been found to be the most effective way to encourage giving. Asking them three times is even more successful.
Adding sincere personal touches goes a long way and it helps show your potential supporters that you are truly committed and passionate about this cause.
To help you out, we’ve included a couple example emails that you can feel free to customize and use!
Good luck and look out for more handy fundraising emails coming to you weekly!
Hello Friend,I know it may be hard to do, but can you imagine what it would be like if you were unemployed, had only $100 to your name, and a $600 bill for your upcoming abortion. Think of how it hard it can be to feel like you have to choose between food and making your appointment. Sadly, many people in New York are facing choices like these despite their legal right to abortion care.This year, I have committed to raising $[x] for NYAAF, an organization that works to provide funding for every person who needs financial assistance to abortion care in New York through their annual Bowl-a-thon. In 2013, they pledged nearly $100,000 and this year is slated to be even bigger. Without a successful Bowl-a-thon, NYAAF cannot do this work.Help me strike down barriers to abortion access and guarantee that one’s right to health care isn’t determined by how much money they have. Donations of $15, $10 or even $5 really make a difference! [link to your personal page]Thank you,[Your name here]
As you may or may not know, I [volunteer for/support/am friends with X board member of] the New York Abortion Access Fund (NYAAF). It’s an all volunteer run organization that runs completely on donations from individuals (they don’t receive any grants and the donations go straight to those in need.) I am participating in their annual Bowlathon, where they raise the majority of their funds for the year! Last year, NYAAF pledged $96,716 to help 364 people access the abortion services they desperately needed. Please support me in NYAAF’s biggest year ever by donating to my Bowlathon page here: [link here]
Did you know?:
- In 2013, the average cost of a procedure NYAAF sponsored was $906, and the most common was $500. The average grant size was $303. Could you afford that out of pocket?
- “Back-alley” abortions cause 68,000 maternal deaths each year in the 33 countries where abortion is not legal or available, according to the World Health Organization in Oct. 2006.
- 87% of US counties do not provide abortion services. In 2008, 39% of New York counties had no abortion provider.
- Abortion is a common experience: At current rates, about one in three American women will have had an abortion by the time she reaches age 45.“The decision to become a parent is one of the most important decisions people make in their life. As a mother and an obstetrician-gynecologist, I don’t believe pregnancy or parenthood should be forced on anyone.” -Lisa Bayer, MD, Physicians for Reproductive Health
What NYAAF Does:
- Provides funds to those in financial need who are seeking an abortion
- Makes sure that the health centers/clinics for those who seek abortions are safe, non-judgemental spaces
- Provides one-on-one support for those who call NYAAF seeking abortion services
- Works to eliminate the stigma around abortions to eradicate shame and judgement around ones’ personal healthcare choices
- Strikes down barriers to reproductive health choices because everyone has their right to live a self-determined life!
Please support me by donating to my Bowlathon page here: [link here]
That means we need to pick up the pace to meet the demand for our biggest year yet! We’re so glad to have you on board to help us & we’re positive the Bowl-a-thon is gonna be amazing!
P.P.S. NYAAF is looking for three amazing people to join our Board of Directors. Find out more info here & let us know if you’re interested!