Want to know something weird about charitable giving? People are actually more likely to give money to a single individual, rather than an abstract group. Luckily, your donors aren’t only giving to an awesome cause. They’re also giving to an awesome individual: YOU. What’s a fun and easy way to remind them of this? Personalize your Bowl-a-Thon page! (It’s sort of like decorating your locker in junior high school, if you went to a junior high school where your locker unleashed magical powers to fund abortion in New York.)
Here are some starters to help inspire your page’s amazingness:
▪ Step 1: Get some inspiration from NNAF’s “Bowl-a-thon Page of the Week” blog series (last week’s winner here!) or by simply clicking around the Bowl-a-thon homepage and perusing the pages of other teams/bowlers.
▪ Step 2: Find some imagery and text to use on your page! Some examples:
▪ A selfie of you with a sign saying why you support abortion funds (check out Lauren Rankin’s “I Fund Abortions” Tumblr for examples!)
▪ A series of animated GIFs telling a compelling AND hilarious story (may we suggest giphy.com as a good GIF search engine?)
▪ Custom memes via memegenerator.net
▪ Photos of you and your teammates making funny faces
▪ Personal stories about why you support NYAAF, abortion funding, or bowling.
▪ Step 3: Put it all together! Simply log in to the Bowl-a-thon site, select Edit Your Page from the menu on the left, and then select Customize Your Page. Here, you can post your memes and GIFs, manage your photos, change your fundraising goals, and edit your mission statement.
▪ Step 4: Collaborate! Once you have your page ready to go, you can do other cool stuff, like…..
▪ Nominate your page (or your friend’s page, or your mom’s page) for NNAF’s Page of the Week
▪ Encourage others by commenting on the pages that you love
▪ Re-post your page on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, the community board at your coffee shop, your dog’s forehead, etc.
Again, the most important thing is to make your page a reflection of YOU. Many of the pledges that you’ll receive will be from those who already know and love you, but who may not know why you care so deeply about this work. Let your page be your opportunity to tell them.
As always, please reach out to us if you have any questions. Happy funding!
Julia Jones and the NYAAF Team